Friday, October 29, 2010

Debugging Droid on Ubuntu / Fedora

I am a linux user, and recently I decided that I wanted to debug directly on my Motorola Droid. I went through the process of enabling debugging from the device (see below screenshots).


The problem I faced was when I plugged my device into my computer. When requesting a device list from adb I received the following message.

$ adb devices
List of devices attached
???????????? no permissions

After a few moments of googling I discovered an interesting blog, of a fella that had the solution of the same issue. The blog was entitled Debugging the droid on ubuntu karmic on aphyr.com.

I am re-blogging this for a quick reference for me to quickly find the solution, if I were to ever need it again. Thanks aphyr.com for the help in resolving this issue!!

The below line was the solution to grant the correct permissions needed to enable usb debugging

# /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="22b8", SYMLINK+="android_adb", MODE="0666" GROUP="plugdev"

I also had to add more permissions for other devices i.g (droidX, dell streak). After doing some digging I found that usb-devices command prints out the list of all the devices that is plugged into the computer.

My Moto droid was in this list and I was able to repeat for all devices to get the vendor id to allow debugging from all devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

android (2) debugging (1) fedora (1) linux (1) subversion (1) ubuntu (1) ui (1) vim (1)